Monday 3 November 2014

The benefits of dismantling old work for reuse...

I got back in the studio last week after a busy period including my Merz Barn residency and a number of exciting commissions.

I started the week by dismantling an old piece of work in order to retrieve some custom-made LED Light Sheets that had been fabricated for me over 3 years ago to fit inside a miniature chamber piece commissioned by Manchester's Blank Media Collective  for their Arts Council Funded 'Inside' exhibition.

As some of you already may know, I often use elements from my past works and build them into current pieces. An example of this can be seen with my sticklights that I had commissioned using my Arts Council England funding award last year. I have used them in several works since, included the work that they were initially made for;

Tempo, September 2013, In solo exhibition On Brown & Violet Grounds, Piccadilly Place Manchester
An Additive Mixture #1, October 2013, Bury Light Night
An Additive Mixture #2, November 2013, In group exhibition Synthesis, Victoria Warehouse Manchester
An Additive Mixture #3, March 2014, Solo exhibition, Exeter Phoenix
Beyond Space, August 2014, Commission for Kendal Calling Festival
I know it is cheeky to use and re-use materials, but when there is very little funding available for each project then needs must. With each/any dollop of funding I buy a new stock pile of exciting lighting equipment, this then see's me through a period of creative endeavors.

I'm digressing.

So, I now have a set of 6 LED Light Sheets, which are an incredibly well-made, even light source that I can use within my current practice. They are made up of an LED matrix that stretches across the whole sheet of polished acrylic. They are, in all effect; a small, very flat, spectacularly neat, light box. Even though I have had them in my life for over 3 years, they have served their initial purpose and been hidden away within my old Chamber work and therefore seem like a brand new toy now.

I began by layering sheets of cut theatre gels onto the light-box surface. I started my making multicoloured laminated collages, which then quickly transformed into single or dual coloured overlays. What is interesting about them for me, is how different shades and tones of a colour can be built up using these transparencies. 

These examples are using just two colours in each: yellow and amber, green and pale blue, peach and red. They are laminated in A4 100g pouches and laid over the light source for documentation. More to follow...



2 comments:

  1. I think your work is really uplifting. It always seems so fresh and new. Each piece has its own place in your continually evolving work. The combinations of colours are endless as are the possibilities for further creative and imaginative themes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The straightforwardness and adaptability of the dismantling services make them appropriate for some, applications including siphoning stations, water treatment works, sewage treatment works, plant rooms, meter chambers, control age hardware, gas conveyance stations.

    ReplyDelete