Tuesday 1 April 2014

Construction Project Day #14

Lots of people have been interested to hear whether working in such close proximity to my mum in the studio affected what either of us made on day 13. It was certainly a healthy exercise as we naturally give each other confidence in the work we make; obviously we are fans of each others works and big advocates of each others practices.  

I only need one comment or sometimes even just one word to spur a new idea for a work. As was the case for this particular work. Mum said; 'you should think about cables'... and off I went, happily sitting on the floor of my studio twining white electrical cables around a stem of timber. The results are below in a series of photographs.

Having another person is also a big help in terms of manual labour. As you can see in the last few images I used one of my pre-exsisting large mirrors to balance to lights on top of. This mirror was used in one of my installation works in my solo exhibition 'Chroma' at BLANKSPACE in 2012. It is bloody heavy and needs two people to lift it. 

I have been wanting to use this piece of mirror since this Construction Project began as it is ready-made and available already in my studio. Measuring 4ft x 4ft and backed onto a timber frame it is a lump of a thing, so thank goodness my mum was here to help me with it, so at last I can include it in a work.

In terms of how I helped her... well, you would have to ask her that question. All I can think is that at the moment I act as a constant support for her as she picks up her practice after a little necessary break. She is working on a series of small postcard collages, cutting shapes precisely and repeatedly into 4x6inch cards and placing them on top of each other to create a juxtaposition between the two.






  

 
  





No comments:

Post a Comment