Wednesday 12 February 2014

Construction Project Day #2

The second day of my self-initiated project took a totally different twist from my first. I decided to further develop the work 'Vanishing Boundaries', combining elements of the work 'Dispersion of White' made as part of my solo presentation 'On Brown & Violet Grounds' at Piccadilly Place last September/October. 

I started becoming much more playful in my approach, compared to the first day. I have started becoming less frightened and concerned about trialing many different ideas. I have no idea why such a huge wall had built up in front of me and therefore stopping me having this freedom, but I seem to be breaking through.

 

A few fellow studio members popped their head through my curtain and had a chat about my new ideas, which I found really useful. Impromptu crits are sometimes the best as everyone is looking at the work in such a raw state. 

In this arrangement I reference the painterly and Albers colour theory and difference between additive and subtractive mixtures.
"Additive color is color created by mixing light of two or more different colors. Red, green, and blue are the additive primary colors normally used in additive color system. Additive color is in contrast to subtractive color, in which colors are created by subtracting (absorbing) parts of the spectrum of light present in ordinary white light, by means of colored pigments or dyes, such as those in paints, inks, and the three dye layers in typical color photographs on film. " - Wikipedia

The humble paint pots open up a dialogue between the work and the practice of painting. However I think that there is too much information present on the pots that become a distraction and would like to re-make the work with plain aluminium or white pots, depleted of labels, etc.

 I have always been interested in how my work looks when viewed from multiple angles, this work being no exception. The mirrored discs reflect corners of the space that would ordinarily be dismissed.


 The coloured reflections on nearby surfaces are an integral part of the work. The closeness of the discs allowed for a much more intense mixture to occur.


No comments:

Post a Comment