Thursday 3 October 2013

End of show blues... and reds, and yellows...

I have switched the lights off for the last time in 'On Brown and Violet Grounds' at Piccadilly Place. I feel a sense of satisfaction that I have never felt before when the end of a show comes. Normally I feel a great deal of sadness connected to the fact it is the inevitable end of something good. Maybe this feeling is not apparent because I know the work will be seen again (be it is a different guise or elsewhere), that the people I wanted to see the show came an saw it and that the feedback I had was excellent.


The question is: was having no preview/opening night the right thing to do? Yes, absolutely. I clocked an amazing number of visitors (plus all those who saw the show whilst passing on the footbridge across to Piccadilly Station). The fact I didn't have a preview meant that people came in their own time and stayed longer. They stayed to watch the 10min video, look at the work and have a chat. I had 8 show days to indulge in this feedback rather than an intense 3 hour preview where everyone is there, the artists can't get round to speak to everyone and very few people actually look at the work. I saved £150 because I didn't have to hire the on-site security and more money on booze - instead I poured the funding into the new work.

More galleries/pop-up shows should perhaps take note of this model. People were astonished that I was having no private view - like it was artistic suicide - the general comment being "when will visitors come then?". Well - they did come, in their hundreds, to look at the work and not to smooze! Job done.


I was delighted with the comments visitors left and the conversations I had. Thank you to everyone who made the effort to come say hi and see the new work. 


Over the next few weeks I will be uploading images of the new work taken by myself and photographer Stephen Iles, who has made some beautiful medium format images of the show. Watch this space...

No comments:

Post a Comment